Lompat ke konten Lompat ke sidebar Lompat ke footer

Widget Atas Posting

Keyboard Codes (Spelling Practice with a Homemade Laptop)


My son LOVES the computer, so I�m constantly in search of great online (educational) games for him to play. When I saw Joyful Mama�s post on the felt laptop she made for her daughter, Sweatpea, it jumpstarted my creative juices.

Since we�re still working on spelling those word-wall words my son is bringing home from school (check out Roll & Write for some history on that), I thought a DIY laptop would be perfect!

I knew, though, that if I put a pretend laptop in front of my son and asked him to type the words he would lose interest quickly. To prevent that from happening, I created ciphers (each was a sight word from school) for him to decode using the keyboard. This was SO MUCH fun!

1. Make a DIY Laptop
Use a large flat, rectangular piece of corrugated cardboard (mine was the packaging that came with a 16x20 picture frame I bought recently). Score in the middle so you can fold your laptop. Cut the holes off of an 8 � x 11 plastic sheet protector. Use a glue gun to adhere the sleeve above the fold for your laptop�s monitor.

Download and print the keyboard I made (click here). Glue it to your cardboard laptop below the fold. If you want, draw a rectangle below the spacebar for a touchpad.

Next cut another piece of cardboard to make a kickstand to keep your laptop�s monitor from flopping over. Attach to the back of the �monitor� using a glue gun.

2. Read
I love to pair a great book with every activity, so for this one we read Doreen Cronin's Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type. It's hilarious!



3. Help Your Child Decipher Keyboard Codes
Pages 2-4 of the keyboard download have sight-word keyboard codes. Give one of these pages to your child along with the laptop.


The two-digit codes are numerical with the first number indicating the row and the second number representing the number of keys in that row that a child will count (from the left). For example, if the code is 33, a child will count down three rows and over three keys; hence, the letter is D.
4. Have Them Type the Sight Words
This was a lot of word work for my son. Once he completed decoding all 12 words from the first worksheet, I told him to find one 2-letter, 3-letter, and 4-letter word and circle each. Then I slipped his completed keyboard codes paper into the monitor�s plastic sleeve and he typed each of those three words.


When this was done, my son had loads of fun playing with his new �toy.� Since I had all the supplies for this activity on hand, I have no doubt that this is the cheapest computer I will ever buy him
.

Posting Komentar untuk "Keyboard Codes (Spelling Practice with a Homemade Laptop)"